Telefónica has 21,281 employees in Spain and Latin America enrolled in the Telefónica Volunteers program. This successful participation is the result of years of effort to make volunteerism a strategic value and the channel for a large amount of Telefónica’s Corporate Social Responsibility. This strategy is making the Telefónica Group the leader in volunteer service worldwide.
The Telefónica Volunteers Program in 2008
- 21,281 Telefónica Volunteers in 14 countries enrolled in the program, which means 10 percent of the total group of these countries.
- 3,634 new volunteers enrolled.
- 72 percent of all enrolled volunteers have participated actively in organized projects, either with their time, through an economic contribution or a combination of the two.
- 767 different initiatives organized by the Volunteer service.
- 341.109 voluntary work hours from volunteers.
- More than 246.000 people benefited: children, young people and adults from low-income families or at risk of social exclusion, students of primary and secondary education, elderly and sick people or those with a disability, not forgetting victims of natural disasters.
- 123 training courses given to volunteers.
- 1.900 volunteers trained.
- 16.968 hours of training for volunteers.
- 3,8 million Euros invested in the program.
Corporate Volunteer service, a Challenge for Responsible Companies
Corporate Volunteer Service has in the last few years become an area of great corporate interest in which the needs of today’s society come together with the concerns of workers, who want to use their professional and personal abilities to contribute to the resolution of different social problems.
At present time there are many companies both large and small that are investing in this practice of Corporate Social Responsibility, which strengthens the company’s relationship with its employees and links it to the communities in which it operates.