The foundation’s action strategy is developed through five major programs focused on education and the application of Information and Communications Technologies. These programs and their goals are introduced below:
- EducaRed. To offer a service to society by bringing innovation to education through ICT. To promote ICT use in the classroom in order to accelerate education and learning processes, contributing to improvements in educational quality and equal opportunities
- Proniño. Contributing significantly to the gradual eradication of child labor in Latin America through the continued quality schooling of thousands of children and adolescents.
- Telefónica Volunteers. Promoting social commitment on the part of Telefónica employees, channeling their solidarity and making the Telefónica Group the worldwide leader in Corporate Volunteer service, with the largest employee volunteer network.
- Debate and Knowledge. Making Fundación Telefónica the leader in advanced research on the Information Society and the social impact of ICT through creating debate and disseminating knowledge.
- Art and Technology. Promoting and spreading modern and contemporary art and the artistic applications of ICT.
With the spirit of innovation, Fundación Telefónica conducts social and cultural projects that respond to the emerging needs of society. It has five longstanding programs that have become part of its defining profile. An essential aspect of the foundation’s work in 2008 is the intercrossing of various programs, which creates synergies for applying efficient criteria to social problems.
New Strategic Plan for Fundación Telefónica 2009-2011
Since its beginning, Fundación Telefónica has been integrally connected to general operations of the Telefónica Group, which allows it to make use of the enormous potential of the Company’s resources: an extensive database of clients and employees, a broad geographical presence and enormous technological capacity. Furthermore, the foundation tries to ensure that its work contributes to achieving several of the Telefónica’s strategic targets, chief among which are the improvement of people’s lives and contribution to social progress through ICT. In this regard, Proniño was already included in Telefónica’s Strategic Plan for Latin America in 2007. As of 2009, the Foundation is going further in this direction, adding all its programs to the Telefónica Strategic Plan for 2009-2011.
The new three-year plan for Fundación Telefónica marks the short and long-term goals that have been set both for the foundation in general and for each of its five programs.